Nov. 15, 2007
Sunnyvale, Calif. and Reston, VA – November 15, 2007—TeleNav, Inc., the first company to launch a GPS navigation service for mobile phones in the U.S., and NII Holdings, Inc. [NASDAQ: NIHD] today announced that getting around in Mexico and Brazil just got easier with the launch of TeleNav GPS Navigator™. Nextel Brazil and Nextel Mexico customers in selected cities now have access to turn-by-turn, GPS-enabled driving directions on both the Nextel BlackBerry® 7100i and the Nextel BlackBerry 7520 mobile handsets.
“The need for reliable driving directions is global,” said HP Jin, president, CEO and co-founder of TeleNav. “The benefits of cell phone GPS systems over traditional navigation systems or printed maps are relevant in any country. TeleNav’s products are popular in North America, Europe and Asia, so it’s a natural progression for us to continue to expand further within Latin America.”
TeleNav GPS Navigator provides voice and onscreen turn-by-turn directions, just like car navigation systems and personal navigation devices (PNDs), but at a fraction of the cost. For as little as $140 pesos per month (Mexico) and $15 reais per month (Brazil) for unlimited use, Nextel Mexico and Nextel Brazil wireless customers can use TeleNav GPS Navigator in any vehicle or while walking. Voice directions are available in Spanish, Portuguese, and English. While driving, users get up-to-the minute guidance, including street names, and will automatically be re-routed if a turn is missed. The service also includes access to business listings so customers can look up addresses and get directions directly from their Nextel BlackBerry handsets. Maps and business listings are updated automatically and at no additional charge.
“Cell phone GPS systems are a natural solution for customers who travel often for both business and personal reasons,” said Greg Santoro, NII’s chief strategy and marketing officer. “TeleNav GPS Navigator is by far the most feature-rich and compelling navigation application available today.”
Both Nextel Brazil and Nextel Mexico are currently offering a free 30-day trial of TeleNav GPS Navigator.
Features of TeleNav GPS Navigator for Nextel Brazil and Nextel Mexico customers include:
- Voice and on-screen turn-by-turn driving directions – Customers enter in destinations and TeleNav GPS Navigator computes the routes. While driving, users get up-to-the minute guidance, including street names, and will automatically be re-routed if a turn is missed. Directions are available in Spanish, Portuguese, and English.
- Automatic map updates – Customers never have to worry about updating new map information or having to pay for updates. TeleNav provides this to its customers automatically and at no additional charge.
- Business Finder – Customers can look up thousands of businesses and services, including banks, restaurants and hotels, and easily navigate to them with the click of a button.
- Pedestrian Mode –TeleNav GPS Navigator can also be used while walking, to help guide customers through crowded downtown streets or back to a parked car.
- My Favorites – Customers can save addresses for easy access and directions later.
- Spot Marker – Users can mark waypoints to help find their way back to a location or to record points of interest.
TeleNav, Inc. is a leading provider of consumer location-based services (LBS), enterprise LBS and automotive LBS. TeleNav's solutions provide consumers, wireless service providers, enterprises and automakers with location-specific, real-time, personalized services such as GPS navigation, local search, mobile advertising, mobile commerce, location tracking and workflow automation. TeleNav's technology is available across more than 500 types of mobile phones, all major mobile phone operating systems and a broad range of wireless network protocols. TeleNav's service providers and partners include AT&T, Bell Mobility, Boost Mobile, China Mobile, Cincinnati Bell, Ford Motor Company, NII Holdings, Rogers, Sprint Nextel, Telcel, T-Mobile UK, T-Mobile USA, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Vivo Brazil.Back to Press Release Index