Sep. 17, 2008
Sunnyvale, Calif. – September 17, 2008 – TeleNav, Inc., the first company to launch a GPS navigation service for mobile phones in the U.S., today announced the availability of TeleNav GPS Navigator on Telcel mobile phones in Mexico. Telcel customers in select cities now have access to turn-by-turn, GPS-enabled driving directions directly from their BlackBerry® 8800 and BlackBerry® Curve™ 8310 smartphones. “GPS navigation is a service that people around the world can use in their every day lives,” said HP Jin, president, CEO and co-founder of TeleNav. “With this launch with Telcel, we continue to build upon our vision of bringing award-winning GPS mobile phone navigation to customers around the globe.” TeleNav GPS Navigator provides voice and onscreen turn-by-turn directions, comparable to in-car navigation systems and personal navigation devices (PNDs). Telcel customers can use TeleNav GPS Navigator in any vehicle or while walking, and voice directions are available in Spanish or English. While en route, users receive real-time guidance, including street names, and will automatically be re-routed if a turn is missed. The service also includes access to business listings so customers can look up addresses and get directions directly from their phone. Maps and business listings are updated automatically and at no additional charge. Telcel, the leading wireless services provider in México, will provide its customers with this new handy solution provided by TeleNav. This new application serves as an all-in-one solution for work and personal needs. TeleNav GPS Navigator provides Telcel customers with a service that is relevant, feature-rich and high-quality. Features of TeleNav GPS Navigator for Telcel customers include:
- Voice and on-screen turn-by-turn driving directions – Customers enter in destinations and TeleNav GPS Navigator computes the routes. While driving, users receive real-time guidance, including street names, and will automatically be re-routed if a turn is missed. Directions are available in Spanish and English.
- Business Finder – Customers can look up thousands of businesses and services, including banks, restaurants and hotels, and easily navigate to them with the click of a button.
- Spot Marker – Users can mark waypoints to help find their way back to a location or to record points of interest.
- Pedestrian Mode – TeleNav GPS Navigator can also be used while walking, to help guide customers through crowded downtown streets or back to a parked car.
- Automatic map updates – Customers never have to worry about updating new map information or having to pay for updates which are provided by TeleNav at no additional charge.
- My Favorites – Customers can save addresses for easy access and directions later.
Telcel is currently offering a free 30-day trial of TeleNav GPS Navigator. An ongoing subscription can be purchased for 299 pesos for three months of unlimited use or 499 pesos for six months of unlimited use. For more information, customers can visit www.telenav.com.
TeleNav, Inc. is a leading provider of consumer location-based services (LBS), enterprise LBS and automotive LBS. TeleNav's solutions provide consumers, wireless service providers, enterprises and automakers with location-specific, real-time, personalized services such as GPS navigation, local search, mobile advertising, mobile commerce, location tracking and workflow automation. TeleNav's technology is available across more than 500 types of mobile phones, all major mobile phone operating systems and a broad range of wireless network protocols. TeleNav's service providers and partners include AT&T, Bell Mobility, Boost Mobile, China Mobile, Cincinnati Bell, Ford Motor Company, NII Holdings, Rogers, Sprint Nextel, Telcel, T-Mobile UK, T-Mobile USA, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Vivo Brazil.Back to Press Release Index