Nov. 3, 2010
ad:tech New York – Nov. 3, 2010 – TeleNav, Inc. (NASDAQ: TNAV), one of the largest global wireless location-based services providers with more than 17 million subscribers, today released usage data* indicating the brands consumers are most actively searching for while on the road. The top brands were identified by analyzing how frequently TeleNav's users have entered the brand names as a keyword search within one of the company's many mobile GPS navigation applications. The data revealed which brands in a variety of vertical industries are beating out the competition for their share of mobile, local searches.
"Our GPS navigation users are in their vehicles, actively looking for a specific service or business to drive to," said Ky Tang, director of marketing for TeleNav. "Our analysis of the businesses our users are actively searching for helps brands understand the behavior and preferences of on-the-go consumers."
National Data Analysis Results:
- Fast Food Nation – TeleNav's data analysis found that six of the top ten most searched restaurants in the Nation are fast-food locations. McDonald's tops the charts as the number one searched restaurant, with more than twice as many searches as second place Subway. Taco Bell, KFC and Burger King round out the top five, respectively.
- Hotel Head-to-Head – Hotels are a popular search destination among TeleNav's users as they use their mobile GPS to travel to new locations. The company's data indicated that Holiday Inn is the number one searched for hotel with nearly twice as many searches for its properties than second place Marriott. Hampton took third place, followed by Motel 6 and Hilton.
- Big Box Battle – With shopping being one of the Nation's favorite activities, TeleNav analyzed data to determine which large retail stores consumers search for most while on the road. The results found that Walmart tops the list, with more than three times as many searches as second place Target. Costco took the third position among the top searched large retailers. Walmart also holds the distinction as being the top searched keyword overall among TeleNav users.
- Caffeine Clash – So where are consumers traveling to get their morning caffeine fix? TeleNav's results indicated that Starbucks is the overwhelming choice for GPS users seeking coffee on the go, with more than five times the number of searches than Dunkin' Donuts. Starbucks is the second most searched keyword among all searches conducted by TeleNav's users.
- DIY Duel – With many Americans becoming Do-It-Yourselfers (DIY), home improvement centers have become popular retail locations. TeleNav's data found that Home Depot is a two to one favorite among its users over Lowe's when it comes to total searches conducted. Combined searches for Ace Hardware and Menards, in third and fourth place, respectively, accounted for less than 10 percent of searches for the top four home improvement locations.
Search Data and TeleNav's Mobile Advertising Platform
TeleNav recently launched a navigation-based mobile advertising platform that enables businesses, such as restaurants, hotels and retail stores, to place a sponsored listing at the top of the search results located in its mobile navigation applications. When users click on the sponsored listing, the advertiser can provide additional information to the user such as a coupon or menu information. The user can then choose to call, map or receive turn-by-turn directions to drive to the business location, all of which are actions TeleNav measures and reports as metrics to advertisers.
"This usage analysis demonstrates the wealth of data and insights we have into what drivers are searching for when they're on the road," said Tang. "If a brand is not a top searched destination, they can use our ad platform to place their listing at the top of the search results list, giving them more visibility with our users. If the brand is already frequently searched by our users, our ad platform can be used to include deals or coupons within their listings, rewarding consumers for being loyal to their brand and helping to increase the number of users who choose to visit a location after conducting a search."
TeleNav representatives are available at ad:tech New York booth #1534 to provide more information on the data analysis and TeleNav's mobile ad platform.
Additional information on TeleNav's data analysis is available at http://www.telenav.com/about/pr-brand-data/report-20101103.html. For more information regarding TeleNav's advertising platform, visit www.telenav.com/ads.
* Keyword search data was collected anonymously from users of TeleNav GPS navigation products in Sept. 2010.
TeleNav, Inc. is a leading provider of consumer location-based services (LBS), enterprise LBS and automotive LBS. TeleNav's solutions provide consumers, wireless service providers, enterprises and automakers with location-specific, real-time, personalized services such as GPS navigation, local search, mobile advertising, mobile commerce, location tracking and workflow automation. TeleNav's technology is available across more than 500 types of mobile phones, all major mobile phone operating systems and a broad range of wireless network protocols. TeleNav's service providers and partners include AT&T, Bell Mobility, Boost Mobile, China Mobile, Cincinnati Bell, Ford Motor Company, NII Holdings, Rogers, Sprint Nextel, Telcel, T-Mobile UK, T-Mobile USA, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Vivo Brazil.Back to Press Release Index